2022 Intake – Visa Holder Applicants
2022 ACRRM AGPT Intake – Visa Holder Applicant information
Important Information for Visa Holders seeking General Practice Training Queensland (GPTQ) Support
Australian General Practice Training (AGPT) will allow applications for the 2022 AGPT ACRRM Intake from the following visa holders who meet the conditions listed below.
The following visa holder classifications are considered:
- Temporary Skill Shortage visa (subclass 482)
- Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457)
- Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 491)
- Skilled Employer-Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 494)
- Subclass 820 Partner visa (temporary)
Applicants who currently hold a temporary visa subclass TSS 482, 457, 491 or 494 and gained their primary medical degree in Australia or New Zealand, will assess the ACRRM application on the understanding that the applicant will be considered by a Regional Training Organisation (RTO) to provide a Letter of Support. The applicant will be able to submit an application under the following ACRRM guidelines:
- submit a letter of support from each of the RTOs within their preferred training region/s and submits a statutory declaration before close of applications, stating their intent to become a permanent resident in Australia by the completion of the AGPT Program, or
- submits letters of support from each of the RTOs within their preferred training regions and they provide proof of an active Australian permanent residency application before close of applications, or
- gains Australian permanent residency before close of applications.
Applicants should be mindful that a Letter of Support provided by GPTQ only supports the application process and applicants will, from that point on, proceed through the nominated competitive college selection process. A Letter of Support from GPTQ does not guarantee an applicant of a shortlisting to the RTO.
How does a Visa Holder Applicant determine if they are eligible for a Letter of Support?
- Read the applicant visa holder information on page 17 of the ACRRM AGPT 2022 Eligibility Guide.
- Read the criteria and conditions below to determine if you are eligible for a letter of support from GPTQ.
- If you are not prepared to accept GPTQ’s conditions for visa holders as stated below, then please do not proceed.
- Submit an Expression of Interest form prior to 9:00am Monday 12 April 2021. This closing date is to allow sufficient time for GPTQ to consider and issue Letters of Support prior to the AGPT application closing date of Tuesday 20 April 2021. Expressions of interest received by GPTQ after 9:00am 12 April 2021 will not be considered.
- All Expressions of Interest will be responded to regarding the outcome.
GPTQ will provide a Letter of Support for visa holder applicants who fulfil and agree to the criteria below:
- The applicant obtained their primary medical qualification within Australia or New Zealand (Bachelor of Medicine/Surgery or equivalent).
- The Applicant agrees it is their responsibility to apply and gain permanent residency as early as possible in training and must be obtained prior to completion of training.
- A Registrar who has not achieved permanent Australian residency by the time they are ready to commence CGT (PRRT) terms will need to continue to work within Qld Health rural hospitals to maintain their employment sponsorship until they receive their permanent residency.
- A Registrar whose inability to achieve permanent residency means they are unable to complete all training requirements of ACRRM may need to withdraw from the program.